Friday 3 January 2014

Responding to a Blogging Challenge



A few weeks ago I received the blogging challenge that has been making the rounds. I am new to blogging, but I am definitively seeking the opportunity to reflect publicly and grow (personally and professionally). So I am starting my blogging year with meeting this challenge.
Here’s how this blogging challenge works:
Acknowledge the nominating blogger. 
 Share 11 random facts about yourself.
 Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
List 11 bloggers.

Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer, and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. Don’t nominate a blogger who has nominated you.

1. My nominating blogger:  Julie Balen
Here goes…
2.  Eleven Random Facts About Yana:
1. I have no memories before age 8.
2. I went to an Alternative High School in Toronto.
3. I attended high school with one of my favourite writers (Cory Doctorow).
4. I worked for CBC Radio and almost switched from teaching to a career in Radio.
5. I love downhill skiing (and miss it).
6. I am learning to play acoustic guitar.
7.  I think sleeping in a colossal waste of time (a.k.a. Nancy Kress Beggars series)
8. I speak Russian.
9.  I love Irish Coffee (even though I rarely have a good one).
10. Until Grade 5, I was the tallest person in my grade (then I stopped growing).
11. I believe that shared pain is lessened and shared joy multiplied.

3. The 11 questions Julie created for me:
 1. What does online learning mean for you? Freedom to learn how and when best meets my needs.
2. What makes you laugh? My youngest son singing his “Santa Claus song” every time he has a new audience – actions and all.
3.  Satellite vs. Netflix? Netflix on occasion
4. Movie or Novel? Novels and more time to read them.
5. Who is your favourite Canadian author? Currently, Cory Doctorow, but for always Michael Ondaatje
6. If you could go on vacation any where in the world, where would that be? I just came back from a wonderful trip of a lifetime, but I will go back to Florence one day.
7. Favourite wild flower? Devil’s Paintbrush
8. What educational event do you REALLY want to attend? “Reading for the Love of It Conference”
9. What is the one tech tool you cannot live without? none
10. Hottest educational trend/author for you right now. Google Apps
11 List three high points of 2013.
1.    My husband returning home after a long hospitalization.
2.   An incredible trip to Europe with my daughters and mother.
3.   For the first time ever, all of my children stayed up on New Year’s Eve (with dancing, games, snacks, bubbly pop, and midnight kisses)

4. My list of bloggers includes those who have encouraged me and those I hope to encourage:
Melanie Martilla
Kim Fahner
Jaclyn Calder
Marcie Lewis
Kristen Mattson

Ryan Horne
Marc Poirier
Brendan Murphy
Andrea WilsonVazquez
Neely Powell
Maya Holson

5.  And my 11 questions for you are:
  1. What is something new you want to learn?
  2. What is a project you are currently working on that you plan to complete in the near future?
  3. What is a project you plan to start this year?
  4. What is your favourite musical memory?
  5. Describe a live performance your attended.
  6. Dogs or cats? Why?
  7. If you were an animal, which one would you be?
  8. Who/What inspires you?
  9. Realism / Surrealism / Abstract / Other?
  10. What do you do to stay fit?
  11. How do you get through difficult days?





3 comments:

  1. Congrats Yana! What a great way to start the year...new post and freshly minted theme. Looking forward to reading your blog (maybe we can stay in touch this way!). I know that we will have many shared experiences this year. It will be cool to compare responses via our posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I'll get you to teach me Russian someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing about other peoples pasts and wondering how that might have influenced their choices today.

    ReplyDelete